In product development, the minimum viable product (MVP) is a product with just enough features to gather validated learning about the product and its continued development. (the wiki)
This is what happens when efficiency concepts permeate culture.
The MVP, a good idea gone bad:
- Tinder the MVP of dating
- Online dating as the MVP of courtship
- Facebook the MVP of friendship
- The feed is the MVP of information
- Tweets are the MVP of news
- Blogging, the MVP of journalism
- Kanban, the MVP of WBS
- The sprint, the MVP of the Gantt
- Soylent, the MVP of healthy eating
- Listicles, the MVP of advice
I could go on forever.
Thank God there is no MVP brain surgeon, MVP plane, MVP nuclear power.
But MVP is not a new idea:
- Libertarianism, the MVP of society
- Communism, the MVP of equality
Here is the thing:
- MVP is compromise
- Compromise is debt
- Debt is certain future
- Certainty lowers awareness
MVP misses the big picture on the long term.